Since October 11, 1897, The Diligence Fire Company has served and protected the citizens of Summit Hill. The Diligence Fire Company is located 114 West Ludow Street. The fire company has 6 pieces of apparatus which includes a 2008 KME Pumper / Engine, a 1984 Seagraves 100 foot Aerial, 1987 KME Tanker with a 1500 gallon tank and a 2000 gallon pump, a 1993 KME Rescue, and a new refurbished 1984 Chevrolet Brush Truck. Replacing the 1984 Seagraves soon will be a Refurbished 1990 110 foot E-One Aerial.
The Diligence Fire Co No 1 was chartered over one hundred years ago. Those dedicated citizens in the Borough of Summit Hill who came forward to establish fire protection to the borough included: Cornelius Boyle, Edward Boyd, T.J. Campbell, John C. Boyle, F.X. Cannon, J.B. Cunningham, John Flick, Charles Ingersoll, John L. McMichael, Charlie Minnick, E.E. Scott, William Schneider, and Burgess Joseph Richards. It is because of the humble beginnings of these individuals that the Diligence Fire Co No 1 has grown into the strong organization it is today.
For more information about the Summit Hill Diligence Fire Company, please visit their web site www.summithillfire.com.